Re: usr1-signal, usr2-signal, etc.

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: usr1-signal, usr2-signal, etc.
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 10:05:26 +0100

>     IMHO, the new signal events in emacs 22 are not done the right way.
>
>     To me, it would be cleaner to define them as [signal usr1],
>     [signal usr2], etc.
>
> Do you mean that it would generate a sequence of two events,
> `signal' and `usr1', so that `signal' would act as a prefix char?

Exactly.

> I agree.  Please change it.

I'll do that.

>     Ok, there is currently no "etc" in emacs 22, but if we later
>     want to be able to catch more signals, this would be a cleaner
>     way to extend the interface.
>
> I don't understand what that refers to.

I was referring to the "etc." in the list in the previous paragraph.
Currently we only have usr1 and usr2 signals, but if we add more (the
"etc") later, this would be a cleaner interface for such extensions.

>     We could even allow numeric bindings, like [signal 10] for SIGUSR1,
>     and also variants like [signal SIGUSR1].
>
> I don't see how that would work.  The signal has to generate a certain
> sequence of events.  If it generates `signal' and `usr1',
> the second event is not `SIGUSR1' and it is not 10 (C-h).

You are right ... it looked like a good idea when I wrote it, but I
must have been sleepy.  :-)