Re: unicode font-backend + tiling

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: unicode font-backend + tiling
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 12:07:22 +0900

On 12/5/06, Leo <address@hidden> wrote:
I love aa too. However Chinese characters look hazy when aa is enabled.

I check Chinese characters in gedit (gnome editor); it seems it
disable aa for Chinese characters. I wonder how can emacs do the same.

By default, Emacs 23 doesn't use AA for non-ascii character sets yet
(so it just uses the old bitmap mechanism).

If I enable AA for CJK characters in Emacs, they do actually look
fuzzy[*] -- this is slightly surprising to me, since I think the
default configuration for freetype disables AA for CJK characters.  So
maybe Emacs is overriding the defaults (I don't really know how that
stuff works)?  If so, I assume it can be tweaked to not do that...

[*] BTW, don't think AA actually _always_ looks bad for CJK -- I've
seen some really, really nicely done examples, I think it was some
type1 cjk fonts where freetype was using the normally disabled
autohinter (disabled for some stupid patent reason).

-Miles

--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.