Re: unicode font-backend + tiling

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: unicode font-backend + tiling
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 15:07:05 +0900

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
>> Couldn't Emacs, by default at least, just let xft/freetype/whatever
>> decide?
>
> Perhaps possible for xft backend.  I've just installed a
> change for that.

I just tried your change, and it's still using AA at normal sizes.

Here's the lisp I used to enable CJK AA (which I got from an earlier
post of yours); is there a better way to do it?:

   (set-fontset-font "fontset-default" 'kana "さざみゴシック")
   (set-fontset-font "fontset-default" 'han "さざみゴシック")

However I've _also_ just tried my test in gnome-terminal and some other
gnome apps, and they do the same thing (use AA always, even for CJK) in
the "body" text.  However the same programs use non-AA CJK text in menus
etc.!  So I don't know where that decision is getting made....

Firefox on the other hand, even its "body" text, uses AA at small sizes,
non-AA at normal sizes, and AA at big sizes, which I gather is the
desired behavior.

>> I was under the impression that other apps just did that, and
>> it seems to work well (roman letters use aa, cjk doesn't use aa at
>> "normal" sizes, but _does_ at big sizes).
>
> I've thought that aa is useful for small sizes.

Yes, it is, but I didn't test at small sizes... :-)

I think firefox uses AA for CJK at small sizes too.

-Miles
--
I'd rather be consing.