Re: Bug in emacsbug.el

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Bug in emacsbug.el
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 09:22:52 +0900

address@hidden (Michaël Cadilhac) writes:
>>     (put-text-property pos (point) 'face 'highlight)
>>
>> They does not seem to work.
>
> Well, AFAICT, it works but mail-mode does not seem to allow it. If you
> call text-mode after (compose-mail), the highlight will be there (for
> whatever reason I don't have the time to investigate).

They work, but font-lock (used by mail-mode/message-mode) overrides
such manually-added face properties.

I think the right fix is to change 'face to 'font-lock-face.  That will
make the highlighting work iff font-lock is enabled -- which it is by
default.  [If those highlights are deemed so important that they must be
seen regardless of whether font-lcok is enabled, one could add _both_
'face and 'font-lock-face properties.]

-Miles
--
`Cars give people wonderful freedom and increase their opportunities.
 But they also destroy the environment, to an extent so drastic that