Re: Patch: Syntax and Hard Newlines

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Patch: Syntax and Hard Newlines
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 09:24:42 -0500

    Discussions with users resulted in binding <down> and <up> to the
    appropriate functions, but not C-p and C-n, so that wrapped lines can
    still be navigated comfortably.

Those words are vague and I cannot undersand what meanings
you have given to these four keys.

What behavior did you implement for the <down> and <up> keys?
What behavior did you implement for the C-n and C-p keys?

    IIRC, the functions `visual-line-up' and friends  that I wrote differ
    from the other available library in that they work well with variable-
    width fonts.

    `kill-visual-line' and `kill-whole-visual-line', `beginning/end-of-
    visual-line' are provided as well and do the obvious.

It isn't obvious to me.  I could try to guess, but I should not,
because guessing is unreliable.  What do these commands do?