Re: Font-lock in COMINT modes

From: JD Smith
Subject: Re: Font-lock in COMINT modes
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 09:38:23 -0700

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 17:57:36 -0700, JD Smith wrote:

> In Emacs 22, my idlwave-shell mode font-lock fontifies
> comments/strings/etc. without having been asked to. This can be
> problematic if you miss a closing quote, and all subsequent text gets
> string fontification.  In Emacs 21, the only fontification was comint
> coloring the prompt blue.
>
> I don't mind the fontification so much (in fact I like it), it's just
> that missing string quotes allow it to run away, latching onto parts
> of the subsequent input and output in a way that's hard to cancel.
> Perhaps there is an easy way to inhibit scanning through the prompt?

A strange side note.  In attempting to find out why strings and
comments are being fontified in my comint shell, despite the fact
that:

 font-lock-defaults is a variable defined in `font-core.el'.
 Its value is (nil)

 Local in buffer *idl*; global value is nil

I attempted to instrument `font-lock-default-fontify-region'.  Edebug
couldn't do so, giving this error:

 Debugger entered--Lisp error: (invalid-read-syntax "Expected lambda
 expression")