Re: Mysterious fontification/C++ context issue

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Mysterious fontification/C++ context issue
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 00:05:20 -0500

    1. `beginning-of-defun' moves to the beginning of the line where it
    expects the beginning of a defun.  That position is not necessarily part
    of that defun and maybe not even at the "outermost" level as I explained
    in the example of point 2 of my previous mail.

I don't understand this point (and I don't remember the previous mail).
What do you think it should say here?

    2. That a user's idea of "defun" for her programming language does not
    necessarily coincide with that of `beginning-of-defun'.

The major mode is supposed to try to make them correspond.
It seems strange to assume that it doesn't succeed.

    foo (...)
    {
    }

    will now get you two defuns instead of one.

We're still considering how to change the way C mode handles
this case, and I don't think that will be true when we are done.

Anyway, this is not the right place to discuss what happens in
specific modes.