Re: Patch: Syntax and Hard Newlines

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Patch: Syntax and Hard Newlines
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 22:50:24 -0500

>> But longlines-mode uses an after-change-function to reformat inserted
>> text, so that should take care of all possible situations.

>> Yes, but would this change be active only in Longlines mode?

>     Well, that was one of the motivation for my suggestion: make sure that it
>     can be implemented all in longlines-mode without impacting anything else.

> I'm talking about the proposal to change the subroutine fill-newline.
> That is not in longlines.el, so unless we do something special to make
> it work only when Longlines mode is enabled, it will apply all the
> time.  That's what I thought the idea was.

Oh, sorry.  I must admit that I didn't completely understand what was
the proposal.  It just reminded me of the fact that auto-fill-mode doesn't
use fill-newline but that it would be good to make it use it.

AFAIU the proposal was only to add a hook to fill-newline such that code
like longlines-mode can tweak the behavior of filling functions rather than
reimplement their own filling code.  I probably misunderstood some part of
it, tho.

        Stefan