Re: Mysterious fontification/C++ context issue

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Mysterious fontification/C++ context issue
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 08:23:37 +0100

> I disagree in general.  What I agree to is that programmers should avoid
> putting things that look like defuns inside comments and strings.

Commented-out code may look like a defun.

> I.e. in Lisp, an open-paren-in-col0 is indeed a bad idea.  In C it's not
> a problem (maybe an open-brace-in-col0 is a problem there, but not an open
> paren).

The Emacs manual states

In modes where `open-paren-in-column-0-is-defun-start' is `t',
*don't put an opening delimiter at the left margin unless it is a defun
start*.

and you say `open-paren-in-column-0-is-defun-start' is obsolete ;-)

BTW, in Elisp an open bracket in column zero of a string should not
confuse Emacs.  Yet you highlight it with `font-lock-warning-face'.