RE: global minor modes that can be overridden locally? [was: highlight-c

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: global minor modes that can be overridden locally? [was: highlight-changes-mode]
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 20:06:25 -0800

>     Why not define a new sub foo-mode-locally to toggle it in
> current buffer
>     when it is a global minor mode?
>
> Two different commands is the way we do it now.
> In the current scheme; foo-mode is the local toggle
> and global-foo-mode is the global toggle.

Uh, I never heard of global-*-mode. Is that documented?

I define a global minor mode using define-minor-mode with :global, and M-x
foo-mode is the global toggle for it. There is no global-foo-mode defined
for my mode by define-minor-mode with :global.

> I think the current scheme is better than making foo-mode the global
> command.

I think it is already the global command. At least that's what I see.