Re: Minimum frame size in Windows

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Minimum frame size in Windows
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 20:39:04 +0100

On 12/12/06, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:

You initially spoke of limiting the "size" to the "window caption"

Perhaps in an alternate world; in this one, I said: "There's an old
hack in src/w32fns.c to avoid the user resizing an Emacs frame below
the minimum tracking size (else the user can, for example, make a
window showing only a fraction of the window caption, which looks
ugly)." That's textual from my message.

(frame title, I guess).

"Window caption" is the right term, according to the docs. I'm mostly
talking about Windows windows, not Emacs frames (even if they happen
to be the same in this case).

I think now that you're speaking only of imposing a frame height limit, not a
width limit.

I'm talking about honoring the system defaults.

I guess you're saying that a width limit is already imposed by the system, and
that is roughly the width of the icons used in the title bar, plus maybe two
title characters (at least that's what I see in your image). Is that correct?

Yes.

Do you just want to limit the height, not the width?

Both, thought limiting the width is redundant; Emacs already respects
SM_CXMINTRACK.

If so, what is the height limit that you want to impose - one frame-char height?

GetSystemMetrics (SM_CYMINTRACK), which is enough to show the window caption.

Why?

What is the purpose of having a window like the one in the image I
sent in my previous message?

I still don't understand the problem you are trying to fix.

User-friendliness. Compatibility with the environment UI guidelines.

That's not a good reason to impose a size limitation, IMO.

The size limitation exists already.

Someone might have a reason to shrink a frame to a tiny size, perhaps in a way
that is unrelated to character size.

And how do you pretend to do that currently with Emacs on Windows? Are
you suggesting *adding* machinery to allow sub-line frames with no
caption?

Please describe the real problem.

Please, describe the use of such a window, and how do you pretend to
create and manipulate them. You're the one suggesting adding things,
AFAICS.

If someday we add support for such tiny windows, we can make an
exception. In fact, the existing code already *has* such exception for
the only windows (frames) that need it: tooltips.

I have code that resizes frames, and it lets users set their own minimum frame
dimensions. I would not like Emacs to impose some hard-coded minimum.

Does your code really give the user a way to make windows (frames)
smaller than the one in my sample image? On Windows? How do you do
that?

If a given OS or window manager imposes a minimum, so be it, but why make Emacs
impose a minimum also?

Windows imposes a limit. We're respecting it. Badly. It works for
width, because the code does *not* try to adjust width. It fails for
height. I'm not adding a new feature, much as you seem intend on
presenting it as such. I'm proposing fixing a bug.

                   /L/e/k/t/u