Re: unicode font-backend + tiling

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: unicode font-backend + tiling
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 14:24:25 -0500

>>>>> "Kenichi" == Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

Kenichi> Thank you for the explanation.  But, I still don't
Kenichi> understand when to use FcMatchPattern and when to use
Kenichi> FcMatchFont in a program.

Good point.  I did fail to address that.

FcMatchPattern should be used first to determine exactly which font
should be used, given the user's requested font pattern.

Then, FcMatchFont should be used to determine the details on how to
render that font.

Eg, substitutions like Arial or NimbusSanL for Helvetica, some font or
other for Serif, Sans or Mono, etc are all done during the Pattern step.

Things like controling hinting, rgba, aa, embedded bitmaps, etc are
then done during the FcMatchFont step.

So you need to call the function twice.  First with FcMatchPattern to
get the font, and then with FcMatchFont to get the rendering details
to pass on to FreeType and Xft.

There is some discussion at:

http://fontconfig.org/fontconfig-user.html#AEN25

-JimC