Re: fullscreen and gnome

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: fullscreen and gnome
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 08:08:11 +0100

Patrick Drechsler skrev:
Hi,

starting emacs with `emacs -fs' ignores my window manager (gnome using Ubuntu 6.06="Dapper"). This means that Emacs covers the window manager panels at the top and bottom (default gnome settings using Ubuntu Dapper).

Emacs uses the extended window manager hints if it detects a window manager that supports them. By default, Gnome uses metacity so I guess that is what you have. Then extended window manager hints is used, and it is up to the window manager to do whatever it pleases to make the window fullscreen. Metacity does indeed make the window take up the whole screen, with no window manager decorations visible. So Emacs is not ignoring your window manager, it is your window manager who does all the work and has descided that this is what fullscreen shall look like. If you don't like it, you have to file a bug on metacity.

I am using a current CVS-checkout of Emacs:

GNU Emacs 22.0.91.14 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.20) of 2006-12-12 on trurl

Starting an Emacs session with

/usr/local/emacs/bin/emacs --no-site-file -Q -fs

results in the error described above (Emacs takes up the complete X: no panels, not even the toolbar, is displayed).

Do you mean that the Emacs toolbar dissapears?  That would be a bug.

        Jan D.