Re: fullscreen and gnome

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: fullscreen and gnome
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 08:12:10 +0100

Patrick Drechsler skrev:
Leo wrote:
* Patrick Drechsler (2006-12-14 01:57 +0100) said:
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This means that Emacs covers the window manager panels at the top
and bottom ...

That's what it means by fullscreen. Check out the fullscreen mode in
evince. You will see the same.

Emacs has never done that in the past. Is this the expected behaviour?

Well, the -fs has not been present in any released Emacs so far. That said, the extended window manager hints thing was added fairly recently, because that is what other people expect, i.e. like the mentioned evince.

In case this is the intended behaviour: Which option do I pass to the emacs command to have a fullscreen emacs which does _not_ cover the window manager panels (ie gnome)? I would like to prevent using a direct "--geometry" option because I use my ~/.emacs.d/init.el file in different environments.

Emacs is an editor. It should not have priority over the window manager used. IMHO.

It does not, this is all the window manager doing stuff, in fact Emacs just tells the window manager, "make me fullscreen" and then the window manager does what it like.

On a side note: I think that evince's default setting are also configured wrong
> (at least when using Ubuntu 6.06). IMHO.

Evince uses the same mechanism as Emacs, i.e. it is the window manager again that does it all.

        Jan D.