Re: Relation between the value of shell-file-name and explicit-shell-fil

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Relation between the value of shell-file-name and explicit-shell-file-name
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 19:01:59 +0100

Richard Stallman wrote:
Thanks Davis. I think the best would be to tell that it is only used by the function shell. And BTW the doc string for shell is incorrect regarding what shell file name to use.

Could you be more specific?  I do not see what is wrong there.

In the code for shell this part chooses the program to use for the shell:

   (let* ((prog (or explicit-shell-file-name
            (getenv "ESHELL") shell-file-name))

This seems good, but the doc string does not mention shell-file-name. It instead mentions SHELL which is wrong (and a bad idea):

 Program used comes from variable `explicit-shell-file-name',
  or (if that is nil) from the ESHELL environment variable,
  or else from SHELL if there is no ESHELL.