Re: grep-find-command - please include -name *.ext

From: Masatake YAMATO
Subject: Re: grep-find-command - please include -name *.ext
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 04:31:02 +0900 (JST)

> I think normally when a user wants to search just a certain types of
> files. Would it not be good to include
>
>     -name "*.ext"
>
> or
>
>    -regex ".*\.ext"
>
> in the arguments to find in grep-find-command?

How about M-x rgrep?

I support your idea.
However, I wonder what kind of value
should be used as default argument for -name?

Guessing "*.ext" from the major mode of the current buffer
is one idea. e.g.

  c-mode => -name "*.[ch]"
  emacs-lisp-mode => -name '*.el'

But I think there are too many cases that the default value is
not enough. In such case the user have to type C-b or M-b many
times to modify the default value or remove -name argument. It
is not convenient. If you can find good default value and/or
good user interface for editing -name argument, I think it is
worth implementing. Of course, after releasing.

Masatake YAMATO