Re: Mysterious fontification/C++ context issue - Patch for beginning-of-

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Mysterious fontification/C++ context issue - Patch for beginning-of-defun-raw.
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 11:57:09 -0500

> The name open-paren-in-column-0-is-defun-start implies to me
> that this variable ought to affect beginning-of-defun-raw.
> After all, that command finds a defun start.
>
> So if we make that variable apply only to syntax.c, as it used to,
> perhaps we should rename it to open-paren-in-column-0-is-outer-level.

It also applied to beginning-to-defun-raw when there is a non-nil
defun-prompt-regexp.  That's been the behavior for the last 6 years.

> That makes me wonder whether find_defun_start should use
> syntax-begin-function.  Does that work right?  If so, we could
> eliminate open-paren-in-column-0-is-defun-start.  Stefan suggested
> something similar: making back_comment use syntax-ppss.
>
> How hard is that to implement?
>
> Stefan also suggested we arrange another better way to
> customize beginning-of-defun (and the parts of Font Lock that
> highlight things that look like beginnings of defuns).
>
> With those two changes, open-paren-in-column-0-is-defun-start
> could be eliminated.

I don't see the immediate practical benefit of eliminating this
variable; we could simply alter its docstring to explicitly state what
effects it has, and maybe that making use of it is not encouraged.