Re: Toolbar redraw causes unwanted selection

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Toolbar redraw causes unwanted selection
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 16:24:30 -0500

    > The reason I suggest waiting for C-l (or maybe for something else)
    > before making it smaller is that I think the frequent changes
    > in tool bar size, when switching back and forth between two windows,
    > could be annoying for the user.

    I don't see an easy way to implement the "wait for C-l" -- and for the
    case at hand, it doesn't even solve the problem, as the abnormal
    behaviour happens when the toolbar size is increased.

You are right; this bug would still have to be fixed at the low level.

Nonetheless, the change I suggest in the auto-resize behavior would
avoid a behavior that might be quite annoying.  It only takes two
characters to switch windows, and I often do that a few times in a
row.  If the toolbar were to change size each time, it would be
very distracting.  If it were to remain enlarged until I type C-l
to let it shrink back down, that distraction would be gone.