RE: Why are ` and ' shown in help for doc strings?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Why are ` and ' shown in help for doc strings?
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 17:17:21 -0800

> If you write something like `some-var' it will show up just like that in
> the doc string, but with some-var underlined. The underlining makes
> some-var stick out pretty well. Why are ` and ' still shown then?

Please don't change this (I know you didn't actually suggest that). One
reason might be that it isn't always underlined; I don't know.

My reasons: 1. Doc strings can be used in different places (e.g. by
3rd-party libraries), not all of which would show this as underlined (a
link). 2. This is a conventional notation, and as such is consistent with
other references to variables and other names in the manuals. 3. 3rd-party
code might use `...' to highlight names specially (I do that in Info, for
instance).

I think, but others will correct me, that the underlining is specific to the
help context, where the name happens to be a hyperlink, whereas the `...' is
a doc convention for names everywhere (and `...' is perhaps rendered
differently in printed doc).