Re: Questions about leim/makefile.w32-in

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Questions about leim/makefile.w32-in
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 20:59:05 +0200

> Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 16:45:51 +0100
> From: "Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> I don't think $(IFNOTSAMEDIR) will work here. AFAICS, same-dir.tst
> exists only during installation and it's removed as the last step.
> At "make distclean" time it won't ever exist. Another file's existence
> should be tested; perhaps .cvsignore or CVS, though that approach
> seems unclean.

Sorry, you are right.  But the file whose existence we should test is
already there: it's `stamp-subdir', because we create it only when we
build Emacs outside the source tree:

    $(SUBDIRS):
            mkdir "$@"
            echo stamp>stamp-subdir

Unfortunately, the way a file's existence is tested on Windows depends
on the shell.  So we need to have two helper targets, distclean-SH and
distclean-CMD, each one doing its magic, like IFNOTSAMEDIR does, and
then distclean should invoke the right target depending on the shell
in use.  You will find similar tricks in lisp/makefile.w32-in.

As an aside, I don't think we even support building Emacs on Windows
outside the source tree.  Can you try and see?  If I'm right, perhaps
we should simply make distclean do nothing for now, lest someone
invokes it by mistake, and leave the above-mentioned fixes for after
the release.