Re: [bug] PGG shows ?? when prompt for passphrase

From: Daiki Ueno
Subject: Re: [bug] PGG shows ?? when prompt for passphrase
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 12:28:01 +0900

> In case of multiple private keys, then I won't be able to tell which
> passphrase to input. So I still think this might be a bug.

I agree with you that might be a bug.  However, I think we can't make
it perfect.  For example see the comment on the above,

;; XXX the user is stuck if they need to use the passphrase for
;;     any but the first secret key for which the message is
;;     encrypted.  ideally, we would incrementally give them a
;;     chance with subsequent keys each time they fail with one.

> I debug `pgg-gpg-decrypt-region' and found out the message-keys
> returned by (pgg-decode-armor-region (point-min) (point-max)) is
> something like "CF3FFFEF3FFF9B60A3FFF896D343FF8F" which has no way to
> match the secret-keys because all of them are 8-char long.

> I hope this is useful and thank you for looking into this.

I'm afraid I won't do it because of two reasons.

First, I think selecting a secret key for a PGP message is out of scope
of PGG.  It is a task of GnuPG.

Second, nowadays gpg-agent is the recommended way to input passphrases.
In that case, we don't need such a more-than-necessarily-complicated
stuff at all.

Regards,
--
Daiki Ueno