Re: Problems with the url package on w32?

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Problems with the url package on w32?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 15:36:00 +0100

LENNART BORGMAN <address@hidden> writes:

> From: address@hidden (Kim F. Storm)
>> Too bad nobody cared to make non-blocking connects work on Windows
>> before the release ...
>

> Yes, I agree. Maybe it is just because there seem to be too many
> subtle bugs that one stumble on on the w32 side. Problems with
> ported gnu applications, problems within Emacs... It wastes a lot of
> time that the code in some cases does not seem to be written to be
> portable from the beginning. A lack of structure I believe.

The current code in process.c is written with portability in mind,
but nobody knows everything about every system -- so someone
who knows (or want to give it a try) must help with those corner
cases.

> And of course not everyone has the knowledge about networking on
> both w32 and *nix which seems to be needed to fix those things.

Someone with a debugger on w32 should be able to set a breakpoint
on Fmake_network_process (without my latest change!!) and see why
it returns nil when passed :nowait t.

Just knowing the return code from connect may tell us something
(if it gets that far).

When nobody volounteered to debug why server sockets didn't work,
I went ahead and did it myself (with kind assistance to build and
test from others).  And I certainly don't know anything about
WinSock programming.

I don't have time to do the same for non-blocking connects.

Besides, while non-functional server sockets was a severe
short-coming, not having non-blocking connect is mainly
inconvenient rather than fatal (as long as the code tries
a blocking connect if non-blocking isn't available).