Re: Building cvs emacs on a dual-core machine

From: Eric Lilja
Subject: Re: Building cvs emacs on a dual-core machine
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 22:03:56 +0100

Eric Lilja skrev:
Eli Zaretskii skrev:
From: Eric Lilja <address@hidden>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 12:47:13 +0100

I recently upgraded my computer with a dual-core CPU. I've been enjoying nice decreases in compile time in my own projects by specifying --jobs=2 when invoking make.

However, when I tried that with emacs it started compiling, very fast with both cores busy, but the build craps out (sorry, no log) after a little while.

Any such failures are bugs in the Emacs Makefiles, so please be sure
to report them with full details, including the build log.

I will. This was with the cvs sources I downloaded yesterday (december 19th). I have been trying a few times since the beginning of november (that's when I got the dual core cpu), neither have been able to build when specifying --jobs=2. I will do a fresh checkout later today and hopefully provided you with the details you need.

Ok, here's where it errors out (same with --jobs=2 and --jobs=4):
gcc -I. -DWIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN -D_WIN32_WINNT=0x0400 -D_X86_=1 -c -mno-cygwin -mtune=pentium4 -O2 -Di386 -D_CRTAPI1
=_cdecl    -o oo-spd/i386/preprep.o preprep.c
gcc -o oo-spd/i386/preprep.exe \
                    -mno-cygwin  oo-spd/i386/preprep.o

Essential Lisp files seem to be missing.  You should either
do `make bootstrap' or create `lisp/abbrev.elc' somehow.

mingw32-make: *** [maybe-bootstrap-SH] Error 255

Yes, sorry, I'm on Windows. This is from a fresh cvs checkout performed just now. My previous steps were:
./configure.bat --with-gcc --no-cygwin --no-debug
mingw32-make --jobs=4 bootstrap
You mentioned build log, what else information can I provide to help track this problem down?

If you didn't try this with the CVS version or with the latest
pretest, please do try one of these, because many problems present in
Emacs 21.x are already resolved in the latest development code.

Thanks in advance.

Maybe because it tries to build something that depends on something else that has not been quite finished yet because when multiple jobs are specified things doesn't happen in serial anymore?

A bug-free Makefile should never cause any such trouble, since all the
dependencies are supposed to be spelled out in it, and Make will never
start building a file until all its prerequisites are built.

- Eric

- Eric