Re: Problems with the url package on w32?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Problems with the url package on w32?
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 00:13:24 +0100

Stefan Monnier wrote:
If you know of any other problem, please report it,

What I've seen many times is like your third item, but the hunks are
not necessarily big.

I.e. C-c C-a fails to apply the hunk (i.e. doesn't change the buffer at
all), and correctly tells the user about this failure?

If so, it's a "minor" bug.

I think that on w32 several things can happen. The main problem is the line endings and the ability of different patch.exe on w32 to handle them. I sent a link to my tests earlier. They are probably difficult to understand by just reading that page, I can't even remember myself anymore.

However I do have a suggestion: It would be good to have a function in emacs handling the problems with different line endings for patch. This could be used for diff-apply-hunk and other similar functions in ediff.

This function could do something like this:

  1) read the file(s) to patch and the patch.
2) if line endings are the same and can be used by the tools just apply the patch 3) otherwise write rewrite the files with new line endings as needed and apply the patch. Switch back to old line endings for the patched file if necessary.

Without something like this I think we can not get patch to work from emacs reliable on w32. It would be a benefit for other platforms be able to I believe.