Re: nt/makefile.w32-in

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: nt/makefile.w32-in
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 00:56:31 +0100

Juanma Barranquero wrote:
On 12/22/06, Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> wrote:

If we assume the make ports people use does not care about line endings,
then yes. Otherwise no.

I think we can safely assume something stronger: that relatively few
people try to build Emacs on Windows (the only build environment where
the [gn]make.defs issue is relevant), and the ones who do are usually
able to gather the info they need to successfully compile Emacs,
whether from a source tarball or from CVS. That's not to say we don't
have to make things easy; but certainly doesn't seem an urgent issue
right now.

(This from yours truly, who twice spent a good deal of time wondering
why nmake refused to work before thinking of checking line endings...)

I was going to write something similar, but my conclusion is different. What harm does it make to make the change now then? It will be in the release if we make it.