Re: Saving when the coding system can't code all buffer characters

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Saving when the coding system can't code all buffer characters
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 13:50:50 +0200

> Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 12:15:45 +0100
> From: LENNART BORGMAN <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> I meant that
>
>   C-u C-x =
>
> at the prompt gives information about the current position in the minibuffer.
> Or am I wrong?

You are supposed to type "C-u C-x =" in the buffer you are trying to
save.  To this end, you can type "C-x o" to get out of the minibuffer
and to the buffer being saved, and then type "C-u C-x =".

That is, if you don't understand what is wrong with the character in
the first place, since the (hollow) cursor is placed on it when you
are prompted for the encoding.

> > > Could it be made a bit easier to use please?
> >
> > Please suggest an easier way, given that just hitting RET will DTRT.
>

> It would IMHO be much more convenient if point in the buffer to save was left
> at the problematic character.

Maybe we should simply include the information displayed by "C-u C-x ="
in the same *Warning* buffer that explains the problem.  That would
eliminate the need for telling about "C-u C-x =" and for an
arrangement to find the problematic characters after C-g.