Re: Saving when the coding system can't code all buffer characters

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Saving when the coding system can't code all buffer characters
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 17:23:43 +0100

David Kastrup wrote:
Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 12:15:45 +0100
From: LENNART BORGMAN <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden

I meant that
  C-u C-x =

at the prompt gives information about the current position in the
minibuffer. Or am I wrong?
You are supposed to type "C-u C-x =" in the buffer you are trying to
save.  To this end, you can type "C-x o" to get out of the
minibuffer and to the buffer being saved, and then type "C-u C-x =".

I think that is far too much to suppose from an average user.  How
about putting a property on the character that will highlight it and
display the information on mouse-over in a tooltip?

Probably. Anyway I did not think of using C-x o here. I had no idea it worked from the minibuffer.

Maybe we should simply include the information displayed by "C-u C-x
=" in the same *Warning* buffer that explains the problem.  That
would eliminate the need for telling about "C-u C-x =" and for an
arrangement to find the problematic characters after C-g.

Also an idea, but the warning is more dissociated from the buffer than
a highlight and tooltip would be.

The warning stays visible afterwards and that is very good in a case like this. A highlight is also very good, but a tooltip is far to obscure IMHO.