Re: Saving when the coding system can't code all buffer characters

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Saving when the coding system can't code all buffer characters
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 08:31:39 +0100

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>>
>> Also an idea, but the warning is more dissociated from the buffer
>> than a highlight and tooltip would be.
>>

> The warning stays visible afterwards and that is very good in a case
> like this. A highlight is also very good, but a tooltip is far to
> obscure IMHO.

A tooltip may be too obscure as the sole source of information (hardly
surprising since that is pretty much generally true for tooltips).  As
additional info, it certainly is helpful.

We already put tooltips on raw/illicit bytes in utf-8 buffers.  It
seems like it would be natural to do this for unsaveable bytes, too.
Probably overlays rather than text properties are appropriate for
that, however, since the unsaveability is rather a property of the
buffer (and its encoding) than the text: with bad utf-8 bytes, it is
rather a text property, in contrast.