Bug: can not start a w32 GUI program from Emacs

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Bug: can not start a w32 GUI program from Emacs
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 01:38:13 +0100

I have been trying different ways to start explorer.exe from Emacs on w32. I can not find any way that works. It is a quite annoying bug.

I suspect this has something to do with the code in w32proc.c that defines

  start.hStdInput = GetStdHandle (STD_INPUT_HANDLE);
  start.hStdOutput = GetStdHandle (STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE);
  start.hStdError = GetStdHandle (STD_ERROR_HANDLE);

This is done even if Emacs thinks it is a GUI app. Is this the problem? Why is this handles set also for GUI programs.