Re: UI issue: inactive menu entries and icons

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: UI issue: inactive menu entries and icons
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 20:17:17 +0100

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

>> [David] In the rare cases where this would be desirable, help-echo can
>> be set to a function or cond checking the condition.  So I don't think
>> we need an extra property for it.
>
> I don't think the desirability of this would be rare. On the contrary, I
> don't see why it wouldn't be the rule that people might like to know when an
> inactive menu item would become available.
>
> If it were the rule, the question would become "Why not always include this
> info as part of the `help-echo' property, and forget about another
> property?" That's possible too, but this added info is only interesting when
> the menu item is inactive. I like Stefan's proposal best, so far.
>

> [BTW, I thought we weren't supposed to discuss new features now... Or is
> this somehow considered a bug? The subject line says "issue"...]

I was not discussing a "new feature".  I was proposing changing an
irksome default of an existing feature.

Stefan then proposed a new feature for that, and I said why I think we
would not need a new feature.

However, Jan said that, depending on toolkit, this might not be easy
to do.

I would have guessed that the misfeature (as I consider it) was
actively built into our code rather than be a consequence of how the
toolkit works (since the behavior seems undesirable not only for Emacs
alone).  Jan says that this is not the case, and while I am surprised,
I have no reason to doubt him.

Too bad.