Re: Saving when the coding system can't code all buffer characters

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Saving when the coding system can't code all buffer characters
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 06:20:30 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 16:16:50 -0500
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> I am talking about the interesting parts of the output of C-u C-x =.
> All or part of this:
>
>   character: รก (2273, #o4341, #x8e1, U+00E1)
>     charset: latin-iso8859-1
>            (Right-Hand Part of Latin Alphabet 1 (ISO/IEC 8859-1): ISO-IR-100.)
>    category: l:Latin
>    to input: type "a'" with latin-1-postfix
>
> How about putting some of that into the warning buffer?
>
> It need not be ALL of those 5 lines -- just whatever part seems
> useful.  And the parts we use could be combined so as to
> occupy fewer lines.  That ought to avoid the problem of making the
> warning too long so that it always needs scrolling.

I suggested doing that, but I realize now that this isn't easy.  The
*Warning* buffer shows several characters for each encoding that is
unsafe, like this:

    However, each of them encountered characters it couldn't encode:
      cp1251-unix cannot encode these: x x x x x x x x x ...
      iso-latin-1-unix cannot encode these: y y y y y y y y y ...

Each one of `x' and `y' is a different character, potentially from
several different character sets.  How to display information about
them based on what "C-u C-x =" produces?