Re: UI issue: inactive menu entries and icons

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: UI issue: inactive menu entries and icons
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 13:12:12 +0100

Richard Stallman skrev:
    I find it disturbing that inactive menu entries and toolbar icons
    won't display their tooltip.  "What is this about?" is an interesting
    question also when an item is inactive.  I actually find this
    _particularly_ interesting since I would like to figure out what would
    make such entries active.  Not getting the tooltip for them makes this
    more difficult.

That is an interesting point, and maybe Emacs should display those
tooltips.  Does anyone see an argument against it?

Anyway, is it Emacs that makes the choice, or is it the GUI toolkit?

As for not displaying tooltips for inactive tool bar items, it is the GUI toolkit (i.e. GTK). Tooltips are displayed for inactive tool bar items for the native tool bar.

As for menus, this is the toolkit also, but now Lesstif/Motif, Lucid and GTK are involved.

I can relatively easy fix this for GTK (tool bar and menu) and probably Lucid as well (menu). I haven't looked very hard att Lesstif/Motif yet.

Of these, I think only the GTK tool bar issue could be considered a bug, as tool tips for inactive menu items has not been shown previously.

Should I fix the GTK tool bar before the release or just leave it till after?

        Jan D.