Re: National Language Support Functions

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: National Language Support Functions
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 17:32:41 +0100

Jason Rumney wrote:
I am sorry, but I do not at all understand what you mean. What do you mean with that "I don't think we should limit ourselves to the languages that Windows has been translated to"? Have we discussed that at all? Is not this discussion about how to choose the correct language for text to be shown inside Emacs (in this case the tutorial of couse)?

The function you are suggesting we use returns the language used by Windows itself for its UI. If we use that function to determine the user's language preference, we (1) limit the language selection to languages that Windows has been localized in, and (2) the language cannot be changed by the user after installation except in Vista and installations of Windows 2000/XP that Microsoft makes available only to large multinational corporations.

It would be very good if we continued this discussion. It may not matter very much for those using an English keyboard layout, but it definitively does if you use for example a Swedish keyboard layout.
I don't see why keyboard layout has anything to do with it. The language that Emacs (and Gimp) uses is determined by the user's locale settings, not by the keyboard layout.

Thanks, you got me there. You are right. I was somehow unconscious assuming that the keyboard layout and the language we choosed where related, but they are not of course.

So I am convinced. It is better to leave it as it is now. And GIMP is correct to regarding the language choice.