Re: National Language Support Functions

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: National Language Support Functions
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 22:48:43 +0100

Juanma Barranquero wrote:
On 12/29/06, Lennart Borgman (gmail) <address@hidden> wrote:

- But on the other hand I have noticed
that most users dowloading from my site prefer the patched version.

That is not saying much, IMO. If you put package X on a site, and Y,
described as "X with all bells and whistles for Windows", is not hard
to see why people would download Y even before knowing whether X is
good enough for them.

That is not really what I do with the patches. I try to describe in full enough details for everyone to decide for themselves:

   http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html#unpatched

Most users of Emacs are programmers; a pointer to the place to
download the tools would surely be enough. But that's not what I was
talking about. There's no need to patch Emacs for that.

Actually I was looking for a good tool writing web pages too when I started using Emacs. I was so tired of all different tools with their different shortcomings, time to learn, time to install etc.

I had an idea: maybe Emacs could be made to a powerful enough tool for web pages so that non programmers can use it too? Installation, friendliness of the GUI etc. That is still what I am trying to do. On my way I stumble on a lot of things in Emacs. That is not very bad. That was what I wanted to test.

BTW, after the release I hope we can include nxml-mode. It is very powerful, well written -- and hard to understand code. I wonder if rng can be used further in Emacs. I do not know the limitations of such approaches, but with a language like XML it seems very good. I thought about using it for CSS but gave up. I did not understand the structure of the code or potential syntax problems well enough to fight it.