Re: National Language Support Functions

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: National Language Support Functions
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 23:03:52 +0100

On 12/29/06, Lennart Borgman (gmail) <address@hidden> wrote:

That is not really what I do with the patches.

It'd be unexpected for Windows users to choose your version after reading these:

 "It can make the keyboard and other things in Emacs function more
like they do usually in MS Windows programs."

 "The CVS Emacs binaries that comes with EmacsW32 are normally
changed a little bit to make them work better on MS Windows."

This one is my favourite:

 "Those changes should preferably be incorporated in Emacs, but
currently they can not be that. The main reason for this is that it is
to close to release of the next version of Emacs to have time to test
new features that could break Emacs."

I'd say, the main reason is that there has been lack of agreement on
whether they were really needed, and if so, that they were the best
fix for the problem. But most people will understand that it is only a
matter of time till these patches are in the CVS trunk.

Actually I was looking for a good tool writing web pages too when I
started using Emacs. I was so tired of all different tools with their
different shortcomings, time to learn, time to install etc.

Yes, that's a good reason for you to customize your Emacs. That does
not mean that many people needs the same customizations and patches
(for example, the low-level keyboard hook).

                   /L/e/k/t/u