Re: Bug: can not start a w32 GUI program from Emacs

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Bug: can not start a w32 GUI program from Emacs
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 02:09:02 +0100

Jason Rumney wrote:
Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
I have been trying different ways to start explorer.exe from Emacs on w32. I can not find any way that works. It is a quite annoying bug.
(start-process "explorer" nil "explorer.exe")

Works for me.

I think I know the source of the problem now. It seems to be an MS Windows bug. Opening and just closing any menu eats 4 GDI Objects (according to Task Manager) that are assigned to explorer.exe. In those cases where I have seen the problem XP has been running for quite a while and the number of GDI Objects for explorer.exe seems to have meat a limit.

I suspected Emacs for quite a long time and I am glad I was wrong ;-)

Have anyone heard of this bug before? Fully patched XP Professional.