Re: CVS repository synchronization for RefTeX

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: CVS repository synchronization for RefTeX
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 16:08:13 +0100

* Eli Zaretskii (2006-12-30) writes:

>> From: Ralf Angeli <address@hidden>
>>
>> There will be standalone releases of RefTeX.
>
> Why?

Because I don't want to couple the Emacs and RefTeX release cycles.

> What problems is this going to solve that cannot be solved by
> telling people to fetch files from the Emacs CVS?

I already answered part of that question in my last mail.  Apart from
that there are many users who are not really acquainted with CVS
(okay, there's the web interface) and with "installing" and
byte-compiling single files.  And if those users manage to do that
(probably by handholding them through the process) they'll get some
hodgepodge of files from releases and CVS.  And providing support for
such hodgepodge installations will be quite a nightmare.  I'd really,
_really_ like to avoid such a mess.

--
Ralf