Re: Codepages and shell function on w32

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Codepages and shell function on w32
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 02:27:45 -0500

> Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 06:08:08 +0000
> From: Jason Rumney <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> There is no absolute "correct", as a user may run any programs from the
> command-line, not just native Windows console programs, and their input
> files could be in any encoding.

But the same problem exists on Unix, doesn't it?  On a GNU/Linux
system I'm typing this, default-process-coding-system is set to
`(undecided . iso-latin-1)'.  How about if we follow the same logic,
with the exception that we want to force EOL conversions to specific
values as w32-fns.el does now?  That is, use undecided-dos for input
and CP-unix for output, where CP is whatever
w32-get-console-output-codepage returns.

The other problem is that `undecided' might use the wrong defaults on
w32, because console programs and GUI programs use different
encodings...

> In any case, hardcoding windows-1252 is clearly wrong in
> non-European locales.

100% agreement.  The days of Europe-centric code should be long gone.

> Why not just set the locale for dos-semantic shells and leave it at
> that?

If we find no better alternative that is safe, let's do at least this.