Re: Huge gap between fringe and scroll-bar

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Huge gap between fringe and scroll-bar
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 13:46:44 +0100

Leo skrev:
> Emacs's native scroll-bar (--without-toolkit-scroll-bars) can have a
> huge gap between fringe and scroll-bar. To see this:
>
>   emacs -Q -l sb.el
>
> Where sb.el has:
> ,----[ sb.el ]
> | (setq initial-frame-alist
> |       '((scroll-bar-width . 10)))
> `----
>
> As you can see the gap between the fringe and scroll-bar is close to
> 8 pixels. I see no gap for gtk scroll-bar though.

The scroll bar width for the scroll bars are constrained to be equal to an
even character width.  So if you say scroll bar width 10, it is padded to an
even character width.  The GTK scroll bar is also padded, but it divides the
padding evenly at the left and right side of the scroll bar.  You can clearly
see this if you run Emacs with a different background, like

% emacs -bg gray50 -Q -xrm 'Emacs.scrollBarWidth: 10'

and then change the character size to different sizes (use the font menu at
Shift-Mouse-1 for example).

> BTW, can I set scroll-bar width in X resource file?

See above.

        Jan D.