Re: CVS repository synchronization for RefTeX

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: CVS repository synchronization for RefTeX
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 17:01:42 +0100

>     If the part is maintained in a separate repository it is possible to
>     check code into Emacs' repository when it is in releasable state,
>     e.g. when a separate release of the part is being made.  Then one can
>     go on developing in the separate repository without endangering Emacs'
>     state as a whole.  Thus, in Emacs there there would be releasable code
>     of the package at any time.
>
> In theory, this is good.  But what often happens is that people
> develop a package on its own, and we have trouble getting the changes
> into Emacs.
>
> Right now there are fixes in CC mode which have not been installed
> in Emacs, and that is one of the things our release is waiting for.

Uh, I don't see why having CC mode in Emacs would make this easier:
the whole point of the uninstalled fixes is that they are fixes to a
comparatively _stable_ version fit for release with Emacs 22.  The
HEAD of CC mode is _much_ less suited to be released with Emacs 22 if
I have understood things correctly.