Re: Whitespace cleanup, tab-width and religion.

From: Rajesh Vaidheeswarran
Subject: Re: Whitespace cleanup, tab-width and religion.
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 13:55:51 -0500

As the author of whitespace.el, it was my intent to keep tabs at 8 characters. Please do not make any changes to whitespace.el without my explicit approval.

To be clear, from whitespace.el's point of view, it is not relevant what the tab-width is set at. People set tab-widths to whatever they please on their favorite editors. However, there is no way to portably move the definition of TAB across people and platforms, other than the value of 8 spaces. That is why this is a religious argument, and that is also why it is documented as such.

rv

On 12/20/06, Kim F. Storm <address@hidden> wrote:
address@hidden (Michaël Cadilhac) writes:

>> Since whitespace-indent-regexp is already a defcustom, what's the
>> problem for you modifying that explicitly when you modify tab-width?
>
> Well, first because the contradiction between w-cleanup and tabify
> would stay.

I agreed to fixing that part (somehow) after the release.

> Also, putting w-i-regexp in a  Local Variable part produces a warning.
> And I don't really want to  force a certain value of this variable but
> just the amount of spaces it counts.

Sounds like whitespace-indent-regexp should be marked as a safe local
variable.  Unless it is risky somehow ... ??