Re: address@hidden: auto-fill in c-mode messes up incomplete comments]

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: address@hidden: auto-fill in c-mode messes up incomplete comments]
Date: 1 Jan 2007 23:49:12 +0100
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 00:00:46 +0000

Hi, Richard, Michaƫl!

On Tue, Dec 26, 2006 at 09:59:38PM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     I'll try to see if I can find a fix. ATM, I can fix Toby's problem but
>     I still have weird behaviors:

> Are they NEW weird behaviors, or did they already happen?
> If they are not new, please install your additional patch.

>     I think the way `hang-ender-stuck' is processed has to be read by some
>     knowledgeable people, and patched once and for all.

> Maybe you are right, but we may not have anyone else available now.
> Alan seems to be very busy these days, and I don't know if we can
> count on him to have time for this soon.

Apologies: Now that I've committed a wodge of CC Mode bug fixes, I'm
hoping to much less "busy" from now on.

I've just fixed a bug very similar to this, in which a comment ending in
"=======*/" got rubbed out.

The problem with the current bug (in the latest cc-engine.el) is that
c-mask-paragraph assumes that a c-style comment is terminated (with
"*/"), doing this at one point:

(search-forward-regexp (concat "\\=[ \t]*\\("
                        c-current-comment-prefix "\\)")
                       (- (cdr c-lit-limits) 2) t)

Clearly this is nonsense if the comment hasn't been terminated yet.

I'll fix this (hopefully) tomorrow.

Happy 2007!

--
Alan.