Re: Should `auto-coding-functions' be mode-specific?

From: Vincent Lefevre
Subject: Re: Should `auto-coding-functions' be mode-specific?
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 13:09:01 +0100

On 2007-01-02 22:34:55 -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
> Emacs examines these parts of the file to determine the coding system
> before it reads the whole file, so it can use the chosen coding system
> to do the reading.  Choosing the major mode comes later, after reading
> the whole file.

This explains the problem. But anyway, there was some text before
the HTML code, meaning that the HTML code was included in some text
file. So, in this case, I don't think taking the charset from the
META header is a correct behavior.

>     but the submitter argues that the functions to get the
>     encoding from the file's contents should only be enabled in modes
>     where the content of the buffer is supposed to match -- i.e. don't
>     use the META header function in buffers that aren't in html-mode (or
>     equivalent).
>
> It does sound more correct, but given the order in which things
> are done, it would be very difficult.

Couldn't a second pass be performed?

--
Vincent Lefèvre <address@hidden> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>