Re: fortran-fill-paragraph fails

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: fortran-fill-paragraph fails
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 16:11:12 -0500

    So if the comment starter used is ";;;" the regexp can just be something
    like ";;;[^;]".  But that's only for "typical" comment markers.
    For Texinfo's "@c" we can't just use "@c[^c]" because "@ca" is not a comment
    starter.  And For Fortran we can't just use "C[^C]" because the "C" is only
    a comment starter when it's at the beginning of a line.

    We heuristically try to discover whether it's a "typical" comment starter by
    matching (concat "\0" comstart "a") against comment-start-skip, which should
    correctly distinguish those two special cases.

Could you make the comments explain this?