Re: defcustom and the stars.

From: Michaël Cadilhac
Subject: Re: defcustom and the stars.
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 08:34:51 +0100

>       Documentation:
>     ! *Column beyond which automatic line-wrapping should happen.
>       Interactively, you can set the buffer local value using C-x f.

>       Documentation:
>     ! Column beyond which automatic line-wrapping should happen.
>       Interactively, you can set the buffer local value using C-x f.
>
> That is incorrect, because the Documentation of fill-column
> does include a star at present.

Yes, this is to be read with the change I proposed to remove this `*' in
C-h v.

>       The line that says you can customize the variable indicates that this
>     ! variable is a user option, as would have indicated a line saying that
>     ! you can change at user level the variable.  @kbd{C-h v} is not
>     ! restricted to user options; it allows any variable name.
>
> I can't understand that new text.
> What is it supposed to mean?

Again, it is with the previous patch.  With it, not only « You can
customize the variable » can appear, but also « You can change at user
level the variable », which means that you can M-x set-var this var.

> This change
>
>     +               ;; If DOC starts with a `*' remove it.
>     +               (when (eq (aref doc 0) ?*)
>     +                 (setq doc (substring doc 1)))
>
> might be ok, but I am not sure it is really right -- it seems
> like a hard question.  So I would rather leave this alone, for now.

This is just an eye candy change for C-h v: the user doesn't need this
`*', so let's remove it before printing.  Why would it be a hard
question?

>     !               (if (user-variable-p variable)
>     !                   (let ((change-label "change"))
>     !                     (terpri)
>     !                     (terpri)
>     !                     (princ (concat "You can " change-label
>     !                                    " at user level this variable."))
>     !                     (with-current-buffer standard-output
>     !                       (save-excursion
>     !                         (re-search-backward
>     !                          (concat "\\(" change-label "\\)") nil t)
>     !                         (help-xref-button 1 'help-change-variable
> variable))))))
>
> What is that meant to achieve?
> What does the feature look like at user level?

C-h v propose to change customizable vars ; this patch allows to
change all user option vars from C-h v. It looks like that :

,----[ C-h v show-paren-highlight-openparen RET ]
| show-paren-highlight-openparen is a variable defined in `paren.el'.
| Its value is t
|

| Documentation:
| Non-nil turns on openparen highlighting when matching forward.
|
| You can change at user level this variable.
`----

« change » is a hyperlink. Following it is the same as
M-x set-variable RET s-p-h-openparen RET, so leads to:
« Set show-paren-highlight-openparen globally to value: »

--
 |      Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac     |  Si les religions etaient aussi tole-  |
 |         Epita/LRDE Promo 2007     |  rantes qu'elles le pretendent, il y   |