Re: What is the purpose of "To bind the key M-DEL, use "\M\d", not M-DEL

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: What is the purpose of "To bind the key M-DEL, use "\M\d", not M-DEL"
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 19:46:30 +0100

Richard Stallman wrote:
    If you do

      (global-set-key [M-DEL] nil)

    you get the error in the subject line.

DEL is not a meaningful function key since function key symbols are
lower case.  So this has to be an error.

The error message could have said this of course, but it is not the whole story.

At the Lisp level it is better to teach Lisp programmers the correct
rules than to try to DWIM.

When I do

  C-h k Meta backspace

on w32 the help buffer tells me

M-DEL (translated from <M-backspace>) runs the command backward-kill-word
     which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple.el'.
   It is bound to <C-backspace>, M-DEL.

Would it not be better if the error message we are talking about told me to bind [M-backspace] instead?