Re: Building cvs emacs on a dual-core machine

From: Randal L. Schwartz
Subject: Re: Building cvs emacs on a dual-core machine
Date: 04 Jan 2007 12:17:35 -0800

>>>>> "Eric" == Eric Lilja <address@hidden> writes:

Eric> Same system as before. So with the changes you made I can now perform a
Eric> full bootstrap when specifying the jobs parameter. :-) I didn't try to
Eric> build without specifying jobs, but I'm sure it works if this script
Eric> works (and it does). Thanks for fixing this! As you mentioned,
Eric> specifying jobs provide no real benefit under windows at the moment but
Eric> it still feels good that this has been fixed.

I just did:
        cvs -q up
        make clean # to start from a known base
        time make -j3 bootstrap

The C compiles at the beginning are much faster, although
the .el => .elc phase appears to be single threaded, but worked fine.

Oddly enough, it seems to have taken twice as long!  Wow.

<address@hidden> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>