RE: defcustom and the stars.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: defcustom and the stars.
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 14:13:43 -0800

Hi Michael,

> Please, do not remove me from the list of Cc as I don't scrupulously
> read Emacs Devel usually.

OK; sorry about that. I know I don't like getting two copies of everything,
so I tend to think others too might want just the list copy. I realize this
is an incorrect assumption.

> > Yes. Here is a doc string I have, for instance.
> >  "**Completions* window is removed if fewer chars than this are input."
>
> I don't see your point.  Maybe this has been discussed with Juanma, but
> what's the harm removing the first * ?

The doc string that the user sees then reads "Completions* window...", which
is not good - the text should say *Completions*.

> > Why not just leave any extra `*' there?
>
> Because it's confusing and somewhat useless for the user.

The user doesn't see the first `*'. How is it confusing to the user?

> What about « You can change this variable using `set-variable' » with
> a link on « change » ?

Yes, that's OK by me.
(<nitpick>Though it's really the value that is changed...</nitpick>)