Re: What is the purpose of "To bind the key M-DEL, use "\M\d", not M-DEL

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: What is the purpose of "To bind the key M-DEL, use "\M\d", not M-DEL"
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 10:11:17 +0100

Stephen Leake wrote:

    If you do

      (global-set-key [M-DEL] nil)

    you get the error in the subject line.

DEL is not a meaningful function key since function key symbols are
lower case.  So this has to be an error.

At the Lisp level it is better to teach Lisp programmers the correct
rules than to try to DWIM.

(global-set-key [M-del] nil)

works, and you seem to imply that is the correct syntax, or at least
acceptable syntax.

This is very confusing. Did you actually try if the binding work? I get no error message with this variant, but the binding is not on the key we are talking about AFAICS.