Re: C file recoginzed as image file

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: C file recoginzed as image file
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 22:20:51 -0500

>> I'm thinking it would be safer to use auto-mode-alist before
>> magic-mode-alist.

> `magic-mode-alist' is more specific. The problem is that some of these
> regexps are too permissive. Supposing that anything that starts with
> "#define " is a XBM file makes no sense.

Just in case someone forgot: this whole problem is only due to the fact that
Richard doesn't want to default auto-mode-case-fold to t (which would make
it unnecessary to use magic-mode-alist).

Can't we revert this whole idea of using magic-mode-alist, and then just set
auto-mode-case-fold to t (and then remove this useless new configuration
variable)?

Again, Richard, please give us some concrete reason why you think it's more
incorrect to choose sh-mode than fundamental-mode for .BASH_PROFILE.

        Stefan